Please note a referral letter is required before an appointment can be confirmed.
About our services
At Mater Private Network, we focus on providing the most effective pain management treatments individualised to each patient.
Pain can be classed as:
- Acute pain - begins suddenly and causes sharp pain, serving as a warning of disease or threat to the body. In most cases it does not last longer than three months and disappears when the underlying cause of pain has been treated or has healed.
- Chronic pain - is pain lasting longer than three months. It usually occurs as a result of an initial injury, trauma or infection which causes ongoing pain or in some cases can be due to unidentifiable causes.
- Neuropathic pain - is another term for nerve pain. It is caused by damage to or dysfunction of the nerves, spinal cord, or brain. Typical effects are felt as a burning, stabbing, stinging, numbing or tingling type of pain.
Common painful disorders seen in our chronic pain service include but are not limited to:
- Post surgical pain
- Peripheral neuropathy
- Post-herpetic neuralgia
- Peripheral nerve injuries, including complex regional pain syndrome
- Myofascial pain
- Persistent post-surgical pain
- Musculoskeletal disorders
- Joint pain
Once an initial consultation takes place with a patient, we identify the most appropriate treatment plan, individualised to the patient needs.
A wide range of treatments are available including:
- Injections of the cervical and lumbar facet joints
- Peripheral and autonomic nerve blocks
- Selective nerve root injections
- Epidural steroid injections
- Trigger joint injections
- Sacro-iliac joint injections
- Radiofrequency lesioning
- Spinal cord stimulation
- Percutaneous electrical nerve stimulation
- Implantable intrathecal pumps
- Pharmacological management
- Non-pharmacological therapies
- Physical and occupational therapy
- Intravenous lidocaine and ketamine infusions
- Transelectrical nerve stimulation (TENS)
Access to the service is by referral from a physician or GP only.
We request that a letter of referral along with all other relevant records be forwarded to your consultant prior to the initial appointment.
During each visit with the pain specialist, we take time to discuss and review with the patient information about any pain intervention planned. We also take the opportunity to discuss any questions, concerns and changes in pain during each consultation.
Dr. Frank Chambers:
Wednesday/Friday all day
Our team of experienced pain consultants deliver care for patients with acute pain, cancer-related pain and chronic non-cancer pain. Working directly with our referrring physicians, we identify the most appropriate interventional pain management technique to help manage pain.
The Department of Pain Medicine at Mater Private Network, is well established with decades of expertise in the field of pain medicine. The department treats hundreds of patients each year for a wide variety of problems, including, but not limited to:
- Chronic back pain
- Musculoskeletal complaints
- Neuropathic pain syndromes
- Chronic abdominal and pelvic pain