Prof. Dominic HegartyPain Management
Areas of Expertise
Pain management and neuromodulation.
Education & Experience
Prof. Dominic A. Hegarty is a Consultant in Pain Management & Neuromodulation at the Orthopaedic and Spine Centre, Mater Private Hospital, Cork.
Prof. Hegarty is recognised as one of the country’s foremost interventional pain management doctors who is constantly developing new pain techniques to deal with the most complex cases in this area. He is the holder of a doctorate degree (Ph.D., UCC), Master of Science (MSc., Edinburgh) and Fellowships in Ireland, USA (FIPP) and London (Royal College of Medicine) in the area of pain management.
Prof. Hegarty was appointed as the Clinical Director at Mater Private Network in Cork in 2023.
Clinical Research & Professional Memberships
He has specialised in pain management over the last two decades and his expertise in this area is regularly sought by national media and in the High Court on medical legal matters. Prof. Hegarty has secured over €3 million in research grants and sponsorship over the last three years (2017-2020). He continues to collaborate with innovation centres and industry in order to provide the best solutions to help individuals who have to deal with chronic pain on a daily basis.
In addition to his teaching posts Prof. Hegarty was awarded the unique position of Honorary Consultant in Guy’s & St. Thomas’ Hospital, London. He co-founded the Division of Pain Medicine in the Department of Anaesthesia & Pain Medicine Cork at University Hospital and South infirmary & Victoria Hospital in Cork, where he served as a consultant for eight years in the Health Service Executive (HSE) before joining the Mater Private Hospital Cork.
More recently he was the winner of the 2017 conference ambassador award for “Best International Medical Conference” by Failte Ireland.
- Clinical director and consultant in pain management and neuromodulation at Mater Private Hospital, Cork
- Senior clinical lecturer, University College Cork (UCC)
- Honorary consultant Guy's & St. Thomas' Hospital, London
- Clinical lead neuromodulation research, Tyndall National Institute, University College Cork (UCC)
- World Institute Of Pain (WIP) Ireland section chair
- Clinical director Pain Relief Ireland www.painreliefireland.ie
- Chair and clinical lead Cork CRPS Forum
- Professor of Pain Medicine, University College Cork (UCC)
- President of the World Institute of Pain (WIP)
Prof. Hegarty on RTE 2FM discussing fibromyalgia & chronic pain.
Prof. Hegarty spoke with The Medical Independent about pain management.
Mater Private Network offers a comprehensive range of services across all health areas and in a choice of locations. Have a look at our service list and if you don't see what you are looking for, please contact us directly.Learn more