The Young Adult Taking Control
Support for younger adults who are starting to take control of their diabetes.
About this service
There are many things you can worry about when your child is leaving. Their diabetes shouldn't be one of them.
At Mater Private Diabetes & Endocrine Centre you can be assured your son or daughter will be cared for and supported by an expert team of health care professionals.
Our young adult programme supports the transitioning from the home/paediatric setting to a more independent lifestyle.
The young adult taking control
Our young adult programme is specifically designed to support young people in the transition to independently managing their own diabetes care. This programme features ongoing support and backup of our experienced team.
Whether your child is starting college, traveling away from home for the summer or simply looking to take more responsibility for their condition as they step into adult life – we are here to help them along this journey!
Who is it for?
This programme is specifcally designed for:
- Young adults, aged 16 years and older looking for specialist support as they move away from home to commence their studies / new career.
What are the key benefits of this programme?
- Our multidisciplinary team ensures holistic approach to helping young adults to understand all aspects of managing diabetes successfully – from medication to diet and lifestyle.
- Our centre is conveniently located near major student campuses, with easy access to public transport.
- Our team is available 8am – 4pm Monday to Friday and provides ongoing support by phone and email.
- We will work in partnership with your GP to ensure continuity of care.
What's included in the programme?
- Consultant endocrinologist – consultation, assessment, management and treatment plan.
- Diabetes nurse specialist – personalised education and support to achieve good diabetes control and management.
- Diabetes dietitian – relevant information and support on all aspects of diabetes and diet.
- One follow-up review with the diabetes nurse or dietitian as required.
- Ongoing support by phone and email as often as necessary.