Prof. Karen RedmondCardiothoracic Surgery
Secretary contact details
Areas of Expertise
Lung cancer. Thoracic surgery. Lung transplantation.
Professor Redmond specialises in the surgical management of patients with lung cancer, end-stage lung disease (emphysema and pulmonary fibrosis) and a range of other prevalent conditions including complex airway and pectus conditions.
For further details please visit www.ctsnet.org/home/kredmond.
- Minimally invasive - video-assisted thoracic “keyhole” surgery or robotic surgery for pneumothorax, pleural or pericardial effusion, diagnostic biopsy, lung cancer.
- Extended airway or chest wall resections, including thoracic surgery for inoperable lung cancers down staged with neoadjuvant treatment and sleeve resections.
- Thoracic surgery for mesothelioma, including radical decortication as protocoled in MARS2 Trial.
- Mediastinal resections, including thymectomy for myasthenia gravis or thymoma.
- Bronchoscopic airway surgery, including APC, cryotherapy, cautery and tracheobronchial stent insertion for obstruction of the airway including severe tracheobronchomalacia.
- Airway resection of benign stenosis and primary cancer obstructing conditions including adenoid cystic carcinoma.
- NUSS or open pectus repairs of chest wall excavatum or carinatum defects.
- Thorascopic left atrial clip application for patients with atrial fibrillation when other anti-thrombotic therapies are contra-indicated.
End-stage Lung Failure Surgery and Transplantation
- Lung volume reduction surgery for end-stage emphysema or COAD including endobronchial valves, VATS or robotic lung volume reduction surgery.
- Donor organ retrieval services, including ex-vivo lung perfusion (EVLP).
- Lung transplant surgery, including cadaveric lobar lung transplantation.
Patient Services and Support
As part of the patient support provided by Prof. Redmond, she has access to our radiology department through which she can offer routine, dynamic and specialised contrast enhanced studies such as cardiac MRI and cardiothoracic imaging and intervention. Prof. Redmond also works closely with our Pulmonary Function Lab which provides patients with reports in the following areas within 24 hours:
- Spirometry (pre and post-bronchodilator responses)
- Lung volume measurement
- Diffusion capacity and transfer
- Metacholine challenge testing
As well as a Pulmonary Function Lab, Mater Private Network now offers a 24 hour Direct Access Admission Service for emergency respiratory patients with symptoms of breathlessness, pneumonia, infection and/or bronchiectasis.
Mater Private Network offers a comprehensive range of services across all health areas and in a choice of locations. Have a look at our service list and if you don't see what you are looking for, please contact us directly.Learn more