Areas of Expertise
Colorectal cancer. Gastroenterology.
Prof. Shields (BSc, MD, FRCSI) is a consultant surgeon at Mater Misericordiae University Hospital and Mater Private Hospital. He joined the staff after completing surgical training in Ireland, followed by a fellowship in rectal cancer surgery and advanced laparoscopic surgery at Hopital Saint-Antoine, Paris. His specialty interests include laparoscopic surgery, rectal cancer, inflammatory bowel disease, surgical endoscopy, and medical informatics. Prof. Shields is involved in numerous research projects, clinical and laboratory-based, both within UCD and iCore (Institute for Clinical Outcomes, Research, and Education).
- Advanced laparoscopic surgery
- Colorectal cancer
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Abdominal wall reconstruction
- Recipient of the Dr Richard Steevens Scholarship in 2007
- Delivered the 31st Millin Lecture
- European Association of Endoscopic Surgeons
- European Association of Coloproctology
- Association of Laparoscopic Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland
- Society of Academic and Research Surgery
- Fellow, Royal College of Physicians of Ireland (2020).
- Fellow, Faculty of Sports & Exercise Medicine (RCPI & RCSI, 2020).
- Osteoarthritis Research Society International (OARSI) member.
- Group for Research and Assessment of Psoriasis and Psoriasis Arthritis (GRAPPA) member.
- American College of Rheumatology (ACR) member.
- Irish Medical Council.
Mater Private Network offers a comprehensive range of services across all health areas and in a choice of locations. Have a look at our service list and if you don't see what you are looking for, please contact us directly.Learn more