Dr. Barry SheaneRheumatology
Secretary contact details
Areas of Expertise
Psoriatic arthritis. Lupus/systematic lupus erythematosus. Osteoarthritis.
Dr. Sheane is a medical graduate of Trinity College, Dublin. He completed an MD research fellowship at St James’s Hospital/Trinity College between 2007 and 2010, examining novel risk factors and correlates for cardiovascular disease in inflammatory arthritis. He established the Early Arthritis Clinic at St James’s Hospital to eliminate delays in assessing and treating patients with potentially deforming and disabling forms of arthritis. He pioneered the Smoking Cessation Incentives Programme, an education-based patient-centred course involving a multidisciplinary team to encourage and assist patients with rheumatoid arthritis to quit smoking.
He was awarded the Bresnihan-Molloy International Education Fellowship award through the RCPI in 2012 and began a two-year clinical research fellowship in both the lupus and psoriatic arthritis programmes with the University of Toronto under the tutelage of Dr. Murray B. Urowitz and Dr. Dafna Gladman, both international leaders in their fields.
Dr. Sheane returned to Ireland in 2014 to establish a patient-centred rheumatology service at Sports Surgery Clinic. More recently he has also been working with Prof. Conor McCarthy in Mater Private Hospital. He remains actively involved in teaching both the medical and lay communities via seminars, online publications/forums and Arthritis Ireland. He was elected as a fellow to both the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland and the Faculty of Sports & Exercise Medicine in 2020.
He has a broad range of interests across the field of rheumatology, with sub-specialty expertise in psoriatic arthritis, spondyloarthritis, lupus and osteoarthritis.
Education & Training
- Clinical Research Fellowship, University of Toronto Lupus Program & Psoriatic Arthritis Program Centre for Prognosis Studies in the Rheumatic Diseases, Toronto Western Hospital (2012 – 2014).
- Rheumatology Clinical Research Fellowship.
- St James’s Hospital/Trinity College Dublin (2007 – 2010).
- Higher Specialty Training in Rheumatology.
- Royal College of Physicians of Ireland (2008 – 2014).
- MD (research doctorate), Trinity College Dublin (2016).
- MRCPI, Royal College of Physicians of Ireland (2006).
- MB BCh BAO, Trinity College Dublin (2002).
- Fellow, Royal College of Physicians of Ireland (2020).
- Fellow, Faculty of Sports & Exercise Medicine (RCPI & RCSI, 2020).
- Osteoarthritis Research Society International (OARSI) member.
- Group for Research and Assessment of Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis (GRAPPA) member.
- American College of Rheumatology (ACR) member.
- Irish Medical Council.
- Geoff Carr Lupus Fellowship award, Lupus Ontario (2012).
- Bresnihan-Molloy International Education Fellowship award, RCPI (2012-2014).
Mater Private Network offers a comprehensive range of services across all health areas and in a choice of locations. Have a look at our service list and if you don't see what you are looking for, please contact us directly.Learn more