Please note a referral letter is required before an appointment can be confirmed.
About Vascular Screening
Vascular disease is a disease of the blood vessels, arteries and veins. Disorders in the network of blood vessels can cause a range of health problems, from varicose veins to stroke.
Screening is the first line in diagnosis and treatment planning for vascular disease.
People with vascular disease have an increased risk of stroke, aortic aneurysm, impaired circulation in the legs and many other conditions. Our screening programme offers the following three painless, non-invasive tests:
- Carotid artery scan: to detect stenosis or narrowing of the carotid arteries
- Abdominal aortic scan: to detect abnormalities in the aorta
- Ankle brachial index: to detect reduced blood flow to muscles and tissues in the leg
Following screening, a consultant vascular surgeon will review the scans and discuss the results with you.
The types of vascular disease which these tests are designed to screen for include:
- Cerebral vascular disease
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm
- Peripheral arterial disease
- Diabetic vascular disease
We also offer screening and evaluation for varicose veins.
There are many risk factors for developing vascular disease. Depending on your age, risk profile, family history or actual symptoms, your doctor may advise you to attend for screening if you have any of the following:
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- History of smoking
- Heart disease
- Family history of vascular disease
- Family history of abdominal aortic aneurysm
- Prior stroke or mini-stroke (TIA)
- Known peripheral vascular disease
The vascular team at Mater Private Network provides comprehensive diagnostic screening and therapeutic interventions for the full spectrum of vascular disorders, from medical management to minimally invasive endovascular therapy and conventional open surgery.
A dedicated vascular laboratory, specifically designed for the treatment of peripheral vascular disease, is a key part of our Heart & Vascular Centre. This custom-built laboratory allows us to treat more complex conditions in less invasive ways.
Treatments for vascular disease:
- Carotid endarterectomy: surgery to remove the plaques clogging your carotid artery.
- Endovascular aneurysm repair: surgery to repair and reinforce the weak spot or bulge in the aorta using a stent or graft.
- Surgical bypass: surgery to create a detour or bypass around a section of the artery that is blocked.
Treatments for varicose veins:
- Endovenous laser
- Surgical stripping