If you call 1800 80 42 22 before midday we’ll offer you a same day appointment and if you call after midday, we’ll offer you an appointment for the next day.
Access is by GP referral only; when you call you will be offered an appointment with an appropriate Consultant who will review your medical issue and decide how to proceed.
All requests for Same Day Consultant Appointments are handled by a centralised administration team who schedule your appointment.
Here’s what to expect when you call
- We will ask you for basic identifying information such as name, date of birth, address and health care insurance provider.
- We will ask you to scan and email, or to fax, a copy of your GP referral letter – a referral from your GP is required before we can offer you an appointment.
- We may also ask you some other questions about your referral/symptoms in order to find the most appropriate Consultant for you.
Are there times when I won’t receive a Same Day Consultant Appointments™?
- If you have a complex or chronic medical condition, your referral letter may need to be triaged by a Consultant in advance of your appointment; this may result in your appointment being scheduled on another day or with a particular Consultant.
- If your concern is more immediate, alternative care options may be suggested including visiting our Emergency Department, Urgent Cardiac Care Centre or Triple Assessment Breast Centre.
- If you require highly specialised care.
- In cases where tests need to be performed prior to your appointment.
- If a routine physical/annual wellness check up is requested.
What else should I know?
- Dermatology and Neurology are excluded from this service and other exclusions may apply.
- Referrals addressed to a named Consultant are required to be directed to that Consultant and therefore, we cannot guarantee a same day appointment.
- For Same Day Consultant Appointments, referrals should be addressed to 'Dear Doctor' and not to a named Doctor.
- Same Day Consultant Appointments are offered in the Mater Private Dublin and Mater Private Cork. We will advise you if there is a choice of hospital based on your location.
- The price quoted for your appointment is for an initial consultation only; payment must be made in full to the Consultant you have your appointment with.