Robotic Surgery - da Vinci Surgical System
At the Mater Private highly skilled surgeons use sophisticated robotic technology to enhance and complement surgical techniques, resulting in many patient benefits:
- surgeries are performed through small incisions, replacing the large incisions needed for conventional open surgeries
- significantly less pain
- less scarring
- less blood loss
- shorter hospital stay
- quicker recovery time
As well as benefiting the patients, it also has its advantages for surgeons:
- enhanced 3D view of the operating area
- improved dexterity
- greater surgical precision
- improved access
- increased range of motion
The next development planned for the robotic program is the inclusion of liver and gastric surgery, thus expanding the application of minimal access surgery to the most challenging anatomical disease locations.
- How does it work?
The da Vinci Surgical System is a sophisticated robotic platform designed to enhance the surgeon’s capabilities. It is important to distinguish that this is not a robot carrying out surgery but rather robotic-assisted surgery – using robotic technology to assist the surgeon in carrying out surgery.
It requires that every surgical manoeuvre be performed with direct input from the surgeon. The System consists of a surgeon’s console and an instrument cart .
The instrument cart has four interactive robotic arms with patented EndoWrist instruments and a high-definition 3D camera.
Seated at the console, the surgeon views a high-resolution 3D image of the surgical site. At the same time, state-of-the-art robotic and computer technologies scale, filter and seamlessly translate your surgeon’s hand, wrist and finger movements into precise micro-movements of the da Vinci instruments.
- Prostate SurgerySince 2010 over 1600 patients have had robotic-assisted prostatectomy surgery. Patients travel from all over Ireland to avail of this innovative surgical technique and the advantages it can offer in recovery and outcomes include:• Faster return of erectile (sexual) function• Better chance for return of urinary continence within 6 months• Less blood loss or need for a transfusion• Lower risk of wound infection• Shorter hospital stay• Less chance of hospital readmission• Less risk of deep vein thrombosisTalk to your surgeon about reasonable expectations for recovery of sexual function and a rehabilitation program that may include exercises and drug therapy.
- Gynaecology Surgery
The Mater Private offers robotic-assisted surgery with the da Vinci Surgical System for complex hysterectomies and other gynaecologic procedures.
With da Vinci Hysterectomy, surgeons operate through a few small incisions—similar to a traditional laparoscopy.
Patients who have a hysterectomy via the robotic procedure have a quicker return to normal activities than patients having other methods of surgery. Robotic-assisted surgery enhances the surgical technique for patients where it is difficult to carry out the surgery, for instance in the case patients with a large uterus and in obese patients.
- Colorectal SurgeryThe Mater Private also offers robotic-assisted surgery with the da Vinci Surgical for colorectal surgery.In colon cancer surgery, doctors remove the diseased part of your colon, and reconnect the remaining healthy parts. In rectal cancer surgery the goal is to remove the cancer and connect the sigmoid colon (part of colon closest to rectum) with the remaining healthy part of the rectum.Some colorectal surgeries are not available with the da Vinci Surgical System.The minimally invasive technique of the da Vinci colorectal surgery offers the following benefits:• Less blood loss and less pain• Shorter hospital stay• Small incisions for minimal scarring• Improved cancer margins• Lower conversion rate to open surgery• Quicker return to a soft diet
- Nephrectomy surgeryThe Mater Private offers robotic-assisted surgery with the da Vinci Surgical System for partial nephrectomy. In this case surgeons remove only the tumour and leave the healthy portion of your kidney. The da Vinci partial nephrectomy enables surgeon to operate with enhanced vision, precision, and control.The da Vinci partial nephrectomy offers the following benefits:• Shorter warm ischemic time (shorter is better to kidney function)• Less blood loss• Shorter hospital stay• Fewer complications• Better renal (kidney) function rate