Back to Consultants Directory
Prof. John O’Byrne is a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon at the Mater Private Hospital, Dublin. He specialises in Orthopaedic Surgery. His sub specialties include Total Knee Replacement, Partial Knee Replacement, Revision Knee Replacement, Injection Therapy for Early Knee Arthritis.
Education & Experience
Medical Graduate of UCD, Orthopaedic Speciality Training in Ireland, Fellowship Training in USA.
Prof. O’Byrne was appointed Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon to the National Spinal Injuries Unit, Mater Misericordiae University Hospital and The National Orthopaedic Hospital in Cappagh in 1996. In 2005 he took up the post of Abraham Colles Professor in Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery in the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland and with an extended clinical practice at the National Orthopaedic Hospital.
Qualifications: FRCSI, FRCS (Orth), FFSEM, FFSEM (UK), MCh.
Clinical Practice: Knee arthritis including injection therapy, partial knee replacement, total knee replacement and revision knee replacement.
Clinical Research & Professional Memberships
- Abraham Colles Professor of Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
- Author multiple textbooks and publications
- Chairman Olympic Science and Medicine Commission
- Chief Medical Officer UEFA Euro 2020 (Dublin)
- Co-Principal Investigator/RCSI Cartilage Tissue Regeneration
- Director MCh program RCSI
- Honorary Orthopaedic Surgeon for the Ireland Senior Soccer team
- President of Irish Institute of Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery
Prof. O’Byrne has an extensive experience with a very busy clinical secondary and tertiary referral practice in knee arthritis surgery.
Prof O’Byrne has an extensive publication list in the area of orthopaedics, trauma and sports injuries. Prof. O’Byrne has also extensive management experience in Senior Management positions.