Mr. Shields B.Sc., M.D., F.R.C.S.I. is a Consultant Surgeon at the Mater Misericordiae University Hospital and Mater Private Hospital. He joined the staff after completing surgical training in Ireland, followed by a fellowship in rectal cancer surgery and advanced laparoscopic surgery at Hopital Saint-Antoine, Paris, France. His specialty interests include laparoscopic surgery, rectal cancer, inflammatory bowel disease, surgical endoscopy, and medical informatics.
Mr. Shields is involved in numerous research projects, clinical and laboratory-based, both within University College Dublin and iCore (Institute for Clinical Outcomes, Research, and Education).
- Specialty Interests
- Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery
- Colorectal Cancer
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Abdominal Wall Reconstruction
- Recipient of the Dr Richard Steevens Scholarship in 2007
- Delivered the 31st Millin Lecture
- European Assocation of Endoscopic Surgeons
- European Asscociation of Coloproctology
- Association of Laparoscopic Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland
- Society of Academic and Research Surgery