Dr John O’Dea MRCPI, MD, RPVI
Dr John O’Dea graduated with an honours degree from University College Dublin in 2001 and obtained MRCPI in 2004. On completion of Cardiology Specialist training in Ireland he undertook an MD research fellowship in the Centre for research in vascular biology at University College Cork in 2009.
He undertook three sub-speciality cardiology fellowships in the United States: Coronary intervention at the Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan, New York. Peripheral intervention and vascular medicine at the Massachusetts General Hospital, an affiliate of Harvard University and finally clinical cardiac electrophysiology at Boston Medical Centre, an affiliate of Boston University.
He was appointed as an interventional cardiologist to University Hospital Waterford in September 2014 upon completion of fellowship training. Upon upgrade to a category C contract he started work in the Mater Private hospital Cork in October 2017.
Dr O’Dea has an interest in basic and outcome research with publications in the Journal of the American College of cardiology (JACC), Circulation intervention, Catheterization and cardiovascular interventions as well as contributing to numerous vascular medicine texts.
He has a professional interest in the following:
- Percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) in acute coronary syndromes (ACS).
- Complex coronary interventions such as multivessel and left main Percutaneous coronary intervention , bifurcation disease and chronic total occlusion (CTO) recanalization as well as rotational atherectomy for complex calcific coronary disease.
- Valvular interventions including balloon aortic valvuloplasty and local transcatheter aortic valve implant workup.
- Peripheral intervention including carotid, subclavian, renal artery, mesenteric and lower extremity angioplasty and stenting.
- Device therapy including pacemaker, Defibrillator implant and Cardiac resynchronization Defibrillator device implantation.
- Catheter ablation for supra-ventricular arrhythmia.
- Evaluation of syncope including implantable loop recorder implant and Tilt table testing.
- Pre-participation cardiac screening in atheletes.
- Non invasive imaging modalities of transthoracic echo (British society of Echo accreditated) and CT (Level 1 GE coronary CT interpretation) and vascular ultrasound (RPVI)